Monday, September 26, 2011

Goodbye Summer, Goodbye Seattle.

 As my disappearance from the blogosphere might suggest-- It's been a busy summer. I spent the first half of it deliberating over whether or not I would be leaving the west coast in the fall. One day it was, yes, I'm staying, the next it was no, time to go, and so on for about a month, but once the long-belabored decision to move was finally made, I savored every last moment of my time in the months of August and September-- spending quality time with wonderful friends and crossing items off of my Pacific Northwest bucket list.

A secret no one tells you about Seattle is that though the 9 months of rain can be pretty unbearable at times, people stick around because the Summers are so sublime. If I could spend every August of the rest of my life here, I would. The sun shines, but it's never sticky-hot like back east, just temperate and breezy. Mountain views that have previously been hidden in fog and clouds appear at every turn. And faces that have worn a scowl since October are suddenly freckled and grinning from ear to ear.  My past two months have been filled to the brim with sunny day trips, afternoon adventures, and smiling faces.

But alas, the summer is over (literally-- the rain started today) and for reasons I don't have time, space, or energy to put on the internet right now, the time has come for me to leave this city that I really have grown to love. I'm headed back to Virginia for a while-- going to hang with mama and papa Roquemore for a few months while I save up some money and pray through my next steps.

I leave tomorrow on my trip home, exactly two years and three days after I first arrived. Since I took the mid-western route out here, I'm gonna drive south this go-round and check out this cool place I've heard of called California. Then I'll head through the desert and canyons of Nevada/Arizona/New Mexico and deep into the the heart of Texas, where I plan to catch up with my extended family before making my way back up the eastern seaboard. I should be back in VA by late October/early November and expect quite a few adventures along the way.. so keep it tuned here for updates from the road.

 But first, to all my Seattle friends... words cannot even begin to express how blessed I have been to spend my time in this city with you. The past two years have been a season of major soul searching and growing for me and you have been with me through the lowest and highest moments of my life so far. I've learned so much from the friendships I've begun (because friends are friends forever thanks to Facebook) here and can't wait to see where the years take us all.

Now, off to figure out how I'm going fit all of my stuff in my car for a month...


3 comments:

  1. Wishing you safe travels as you get ready to gear up to come back east. Please share about the adventure along the way! I'd love to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels lady! I hope to see you when you're home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're in arizona now! If you come as far south as sierra vista let me know! Even if u go thru tuscon, i can come up and meet you. safe travels!.get in touch w amy when you get back to va. I know she'd love to see you!

    ReplyDelete